CEBU | Gabii sa Kabilin 2013

Gabii sa Kabilin (GSK) or Night of Heritage is a special annual event, where people visit museums and heritage sites in one night. From 6PM to midnight, guests enjoy cultural shows, exhibits, children's activities contests, food fairs and other activities. To get to their participating sites, guests walk or ride busess and tartanillas (horse-drawn carriages).Cebu launched the first Gabii sa Kabilin in 2007 and has remained the metropolis in the Asia-Pacific region to hold such an event. Held every last Friday of May to celebrate the Philippines' National Heritage Monthe and International Museum Day which falls on May 18. 

From 3 participating museums in 2007, this year 2013 there are 33 participating museums and heritage sites all over Cebu. This year there are 30 featured sites. With the increase in number of participating museums and heritage sites every year, last 2012 the Cebu City Council through an ordinance made every last friday of May as Gabii sa Kabilin. 

I didn't let this day pass, thus last Friday May 31, 2013, I made sure that I'd be able to join the Gabii sa Kabilin. I almost did not make it due to sibling war (lol) and heavy rain at 6pm, but I didn't sink in to that emotion and I chose to go to Casa Gorordo Museum to join the event. I contacted Habagat Central that night since I know he will be in a group of bloggers (knowing him, I know he will be there with company) and I joined their group with Atty. Ethelbert Ouano and their friends. 

Here are few of the sites that I/we have visited that.  (I apologize for the quality of pics, I only have my camera phone with me, thus I'll make sure next year I'll bring a better camera with me hehe)

The Yap-Santiago Ancestral House along old parian.

Iglesia Filipina Independiente Cathedral of the Holy Child

Museo Parian sa Sugbo

The main gate of the old Parian "Jesuit House"
Add caption





This event was organized and initiated by Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc (RAFI.ORG) Culture & Heritage Unit. And it all made possible through the cooperation of participating museums and heritage sites, the different government agencies, local communities and private organization. 

I enjoyed the trip so much that I'll make sure I'll be able to participate again next year. The event was well participated by the locals which makes it more meaning and successful. It's best that we know more about our history and heritage. We should treasure the works of the past. Replacing the old is not always an answer for a place to be considered progressive, taking care of our culture, preserving them and empowering the new generations with our heritage is also progress.

More power to the Cebuanos! More power to RAFI! I hope all places would see this event as a role model to preserve the living heritage of their place and their culture. I hope Iligan City can do this too, rather than concreting the waterfalls and demolish the old historic houses in Iligan and Lanao del Norte.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

10 Most visited destinations in Iligan City

Cebu City | Patria de Cebu - Accommodation

Misamis Oriental | Alibuag Cold Spring - Medina